• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A chance to make a banner! Need a favor

JimmyG

Nice drawings you guys have added for Hightop...I enjoy seeing the differences in how other signmakers think on the subject...I used to really enjoy doing church banners for all sorts of occasions...
Nowdays, I have to do them digitally in 4:3 format for projection on several "screens" as I am the soundman and visual techie for our church....
Come to think of it, I have several banners to get done in the next 3 weeks for our Christmas cantata projections....

Best wishes on doing yours Hightop! I know how the banners help to make things even more special....!

hightop

Thanks, ! I appreciate the encouragement! I have been completely amazed at how friendly and supportive everyone has been to a newbie with absolutely no experience. It has been fun to see the different approaches and styles, as well.

Dave Drane

Hightop if you are going to cut, then why not cut a mask and paint it? That way you can have as much color as you like and also even some blends. Just a thought.

AUTO-FX

Make sure you clean the banner thoroughly before applying your vinyl. There are oils (plastisizer for flexibility) in the material that rise to the surface (plastisizer migration) My preference is to clean twice with alcohol using quite a few paper towels (Rags transfer the plastisizer to the next job.) Bungee the banner taught to your table. Good luck!

Jillbeans

You could also get a non-white banner.
This is just one color on burgundy.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 76

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
'Christ is come'? What the hell kind of grammar is that?

Is this Yet Another example of genuine biblical gibberish or merely the work of a coven of the functionally illiterate? Note that christ, or anything else for that matter, can be a lot of things, he can be brown, he can be loud, he can be silly, but no matter how you torture the language, he cannot be come.

jiarby

King James English, for example..
1 John 4:2
Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

It is just an arcane way about the english language popular with the Bible folks, especially the traditionalists clinging to the King James Translations. I doubt it says "Christ is come" in a dead sea scrolls era version of the story.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think it much matters how we say it.... it's tradition...... no matter how ridiculous it sounds to outsiders. bob, I really like ya man, but please...... keep that sort of stuff in the NBH. :thankyou:

hightop

I appreciate the ideas, tips and especially the laughs!

Thanks, Jiarby and Gino! Jill, I LOVE the second one. That's HILARIOUS, and so true!! :ROFLMAO: Since time is running out, I'll have to stick to the supplies I have and a design I think I can handle. (note again: newbie). Stay tuned for the results ***fingers crossed***

hightop

Bungee the banner taught to your table. Good luck!

...wondering to myself how to get the thing bungeed to my kitchen island...the biggest surface in the house...:doh:...:banghead: Just another laugh for you all and further confirmation that there is not any competition from me!!

Dave Drane

Here's one I just sent out for printing. I still love hand painting them but the cost is just not feasible, and I have stopped working for fun. I am getting sick of the trade, I would rather go ride my bike or play golf.:thumb:

Attachments

• Bli-Bli-Uniting.jpg
    Bli-Bli-Uniting.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 92

iSign

I have been completely amazed at how friendly and supportive everyone has been to a newbie with absolutely no experience. It has been fun to see the different approaches and styles, as well.

good luck, welcome, and whaddayaknow... I'm somewhat amazed by our little community at times too... for better or worse, it is a crapshoot some days, as to how a thread will turn out.. for example, this thread had all the ingredients of some of the notorious train wrecks in recent months (or years)

...but you seemed to disarm the first offenders (a rotating job description, I've held as often as many others) by a few important distinctions... namely your apparent familiarity with the underbelly of this site & willingness to attempt to step in the ring, without stepping on toes. Well done!

It's often a shame to see the regularity of n00b bashing tendencies from time to time, but as with any forum, it is anarchy, and you never know which way the wind will blow...

..but anyway, enough about the underbelly of this great place... I wanted to comment on the opportunity of this place. You have succeeded to be welcomed, encouraged & helped in your first thread (I think) and I want to share an observation from my years on sign forums, dating back to when I was much less confident, and did a lot more asking & learning then I did answering and teaching...

I noticed you said something like "stay tuned for the results" but, I would encourage you to engage in this incredibly successful dialogue about your immediate design challenge because you offered up one design, and you have witnessed half a dozen other ones, from people taking the time to help you. You have at least remained in the conversation, and showed appreciation, which is great, and has contributed more then you know (in my opinion) to the continuation of this topic, while others fall out of site in an afternoon..

I suggest you draw up another layout or two at the earliest opportunity. Folks here enjoy offering help, and if you showed us what you gave your church, and we see evidence of one or more design tips that seemed to help create an improvement, that will bring this exercise full circle.. to a degree..

...but i over ten years, the BEST design assistance threads I have seen, and have benefitted from tremendously... are the ones where someone like yourself (or myself on many occasions) has been offered feedback, drew changes, posted them, been offered more feedback, posted another layout... and these interactions work more like the old saying "give a man a fish -you have fed him for a day... teach a man to fish-you have fed him for a lifetime"

I have no doubt that those more permanent lessons, leading to more permanent growth is what you seek, and what you will find... and I just wanted to say this thread could still lose enough interest at any moment, but seize the opportunity ASAP, and submit your own new layout here, before deciding on one & making the sign..

I have little doubt this will lead to renewed interest in this thread, this project, and your educational opportunity on this forum.

This is just an opinion, but as a form of evidence to the experience from which I speak... I had the honor to be written up in a "Signs of the Times" article last year, where 3 of the images I provided of my work were printed. I actually just made this connection in my mind while typing this post... but 2 of the three images were not only two of the signs I am most proud of in my 22 year career, but both of them were designs spawned out of lengthy threads in this and another forum, where I was given great support, advice and encouragement.. but I also did a lot of redraws, that resulted in more refined & continued advice.

In the end, I had a design I took great pride in, for my efforts, while knowing I had also received a great deal of help too! I won't go find them right now, but I might hunt down the links later.

jiarby

Dave...
5 different fonts and an old english one?? I like the art on the left and the bar going across but you suprised me with these font choices.

iSign

found the second link I wanted to share also. I forgot how close I came to my best ever sign being a crappy boring layout I just "settled" for, instead of letting my friends here push me, to push myself, to push the clients to consider something lightyears ahead of what almost took place...

My 1st Latitudes design thread

My 2nd Latitudes design thread

My 3rd Latitudes design thread

hope I'm not being a thread pirate, but I found my finished Latitudes thread... might as well include it too, I guess...

and the Signs of the Times piece

Last edited:

hightop

iSign - Loved your post! All forums have more or less the same personalities. I came in with my head covered and my tail tucked knowing what I don't know and finding out it was worse than I thought! I know even less!!! haha!

You are correct, this was/is my first thread after the intro. I haven't posted any other designs for the banner because I have, as my husband says, "Put 10lbs. of s**t in a 5lb. bag!" Trying to do too much at once! That said, I finally got back to it and have posted another with this reply.

It looks suspiciously like Jill's. Here's why, in no particular order:
1 - I like her design. It looks like something I might be able to do and it is simple/clean, not busy.
2 - I am learning the software, too, so I cheated (and was kind of tickled to come close after over an hour of trying what you folks can kick out in a much shorter time!)
3 - Tried to make it different enough to be a little creative (ok a little!)
4 - It is all navy and yellow, because they are colors I have.

In the interest of time, and because of that darn day job, I am not sure that I will have the opportunity to do another design before I have to show the church on Wednesday. Also, have to have the sign done, if it is to be done, by next weekend. (Business trip the following week and the performance the weekend after.)

From what I have seen, there is every opportunity to continue to "tweak" this design and do others, as well. I have seen several examples of others bouncing ideas round in here. That you do that for other professionals speaks highly of the site (both receivers and givers.)

Congrats on having your work included in the article! Being celebrated among your peers is awesome and speaks well of your work!

Your post confirmed that this is a great place to learn. Thanks for sharing your experience! :thankyou:

Attachments

• Banner 2.jpg
    Banner 2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 81