• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Armed or Unarmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVP

Not coming originally from a gun culture country, the subject of armed citizens is intriguing to me. Are there any U.S. statistics showing how many bad situations were avoided/thwarted by the 'victim' being armed?

Marlene

Are there any U.S. statistics showing how many bad situations were avoided/thwarted by the 'victim' being armed?

I'd like to see that too if there are stats. seems like most of the shootings aren't done by criminals but kids getting their hands on a gun, a ticked off husband/wife/employee and not some hero citizen saving the world from crime.

I have no real knowledge of what it must be like to live where you feel like you need a gun to walk out of your house and I have no doubt that there are places where people just don't feel safe. we do have guns, I am not not anti gun. what bugs me are those who don't lock up their guns and keep them out of the hands of kids. I can personally come up with people that I know who have had near misses or deaths from kids showing a gun off that wasn't locked up. no one should have a story of a kid shooting another kid, no kid should ever have access to a gun without a parent or another adult present.

laserman70

Strict gun laws are about as effective as strict drug laws...It pains me to say this, but the NRA seems to be right: The cities and states that have the toughest gun laws have the most murder and mayhem.

-- Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya only need one statistic to make it worthwhile.

How many of you have insurance against......

• A vehicular accident ??
  • Plain old accidents ??
  • Against health problems ??
  • Homeowners insurance ??
  • Liability insurance in case someone does something stupid on your property ??
  • Business interruption when something goes wrong ??
  • Eye insurance or dental insurance ??

You basically are taking a calculated guess and trying to guard against something horrible taking place in your life with all of these mentioned insurances. What is more special/valuable than one's own life or your kids or other loved ones ?? A properly trained person for home defense is the best insurance policy you can get.... in case the UN-thinkable ever happens to you.

It's like Smokey the Bear... only you can prevent these things from happening by being prepared and alert of your surroundings. Get training, learn and stock up on a little personal insurance. It's legal and safe, as long as you're not a hot dog about it.

laserman70

I started carrying two years ago. I have had guns all my life. I went for training spend once every two weeks at the pistol range.
Its your choice and your right. If you dont want to then dont.
But quit whining about those of us who do. Old saying goes, people kill people, guns dont.

Locals Find!

Every gun owner should own trigger locks and actually use them. They are cheap can be bought just about anywhere, and they work simply.

I have always kept trigger locks on all my guns except for when I am using them. As soon as I am done even at the range they go back on the gun till I am ready to use it again. Gun safety is not hard it just requires some basic forethought. Which sadly a lot of people with guns around the world are incapable of.

genericname

I live in a small town about 24k in the city and maybe double that in the county. But just in the city we have had 13 or 14 murders this year.

:omg2:

I live in a city of nearly a million, and I think we just hit our 13th or 14th murder of the year. Almost all are either gang related, or due to some kind of personal conflict. They're rarely ever random.

I grew up in a city about twice the size of yours, and if we had a murder rate that high, I think the military would be rolled in and a curfew put in place.

megacab

had my ccw for the last 6 years since moving away from Kalifornia. used to carry a taurus 40 cal daily. one day i shot a little Bersa 380. been carrying one in my back pocket most everywhere since.

genericname

Craig Sjoquist

I normally carry a knife, they hurt alot, seen bullets just go threw and the person does not bother them, but a knife will slow them.
Carried a gun before but realized you don''t have much of a chance to use or bullets go threw to many things.
After getting mugged in front of million dollar homes I carry a knife 100% and thinking of getting a gun in future again.
German Shepard at home for a warning hidden knifes around plus other nasty stuff that hurts.

I'd like to see that too if there are stats. seems like most of the shootings aren't done by criminals but kids getting their hands on a gun, a ticked off husband/wife/employee and not some hero citizen saving the world from crime.

I have no real knowledge of what it must be like to live where you feel like you need a gun to walk out of your house and I have no doubt that there are places where people just don't feel safe. we do have guns, I am not not anti gun. what bugs me are those who don't lock up their guns and keep them out of the hands of kids. I can personally come up with people that I know who have had near misses or deaths from kids showing a gun off that wasn't locked up. no one should have a story of a kid shooting another kid, no kid should ever have access to a gun without a parent or another adult present.

If people these days TAUGHT their kids to respect firearms, and not to touch them you wouldn't have any issues. I knew from a very young age NOT to touch, look, think about anything regarding my dads gun. I was taught to respect is because it isn't a toy but a deadly weapon. People these days do not think about this aspect when they have firearms and kids.

natedawg9640

At my day job, we have a no firearms policy. At MY place, since it's at my house, i have ready access to an automatic shotgun, and a H&K P30L .40. I grew up with guns and was taught the proper way to use and respect them. Would have no problem using them to protect my wife and myself and would sleep perfectly well the same night.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Hicalibersigns

Are there any U.S. statistics showing how many bad situations were avoided/thwarted by the 'victim' being armed?

I will see if I can find some statistics, but such information is difficult to find because the liberal slanted media doesn't like to report such things since it doesn't support their agenda. Also, statistics are gathered on crimes, and in many states such activities are not crimes, so they don't show up statistically.

The National Rifle Association's publication "American Rifleman" has a feature every month titled "The Armed Citizen". It briefly outlines roughly 12 or 15 incidents where armed citizens protected themselves with firearms, so yes it is quite common. There was an item on the news here in the Dallas area this week. A gentleman woke up to loud knocking on his door in the early hours of the morning. He got his 9mm piston and gathered his family in the back of the house. When the door broke open and the first intruder (a 19 year old) entered his house he shot him in the shoulder. He is recovering in the hospital. The other person fled. The local police have chosen not to file any charges against the homeowner. Texas is a "Castle Doctrine" state. I.e. it is legal to use deadly force to protect one's home.

Marlene

If people these days TAUGHT their kids to respect firearms, and not to touch them you wouldn't have any issues. I knew from a very young age NOT to touch, look, think about anything regarding my dads gun. I was taught to respect is because it isn't a toy but a deadly weapon. People these days do not think about this aspect when they have firearms and kids.

I'm sorry, but that is total crap. parents teach their kids not to do things that are wrong. if that was all there is to it, it would be easy, there would be no kid out there who ever got into trouble for doing anything worng. kids will and do things that are stupid as their brains do not totally develope until they are 25. it is the gun owers responsilbity to always know where their gun is and to keep it out of the hands of those who are no suppose to have access to it, plain and simple. it hardly is "gun control" to ask those who own guns to take responsiblity for them. teach tehm not to touch, teach them to respect and also lock up the guns and don't pass the responsilbity onto the kids for the safety of the guns.

PS one of the kids that I knew that was shot and killed was shot by his friend by mistake as the kid just wanted to show his other friends a gun and didn't know it was loaded. the other kid I know just missed getting killed when her borther, showing a gun to a friend and also not knowing it was loaded shot thru a wall into the bathroom and thru the mirror where my friend had just bent over to spit while brushing her teeth was standing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Every gun owner should own trigger locks and actually use them. They are cheap can be bought just about anywhere, and they work simply.

I have always kept trigger locks on all my guns except for when I am using them. As soon as I am done even at the range they go back on the gun till I am ready to use it again. Gun safety is not hard it just requires some basic forethought. Which sadly a lot of people with guns around the world are incapable of.

I hope you don't need to whip out your shooter on short notice. Perhaps you could announce to whatever the threat might be that it should wait until you remove the protective gear from your gun before it proceeds.

As counterpoint, every gun in my house, of which there is an abundance, is loaded, no locks, no safes, none of that nonsense.

Gun safety is treating every gun as if it's loaded, because it is. Gun training beyond knowing which end you hold and which end the bullets come out of seems frivolous. Everything else you should be able to figure out merely by looking it over for a few seconds. Guns are simple mechanisms and generally don't require endless hours of instruction as to their care and feeding.

Perhaps I feel as I do because I've been around guns my entire life and they don't frighten or fascinate me. Your mileage may vary.

genericname

I hope you don't need to whip out your shooter on short notice. Perhaps you could announce to whatever the threat might be that it should wait until you remove the protective gear from your gun before it proceeds.

As a counterpoint, Addy's surrounded by retired Canadians, and trigger locks are required in most areas here. Mind you, our guns are typically for hunting, and very rarely used as a means of self-defence.

Pat Whatley

You're far more likely to die from weight related heart problems or tobacco use or alcohol use than you are to ever be involved in a gun related crime. If it's all about prevention wouldn't we be better off getting rid of cigarettes, whiskey and trading the gun in on a treadmill?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're far more likely to die from weight related heart problems or tobacco use or alcohol use than you are to ever be involved in a gun related crime. If it's all about prevention wouldn't we be better off getting rid of cigarettes, whiskey and trading the gun in on a treadmill?

Are you frickin' nutz ?? :omg2:

Get rid of cigarettes maybe or swimming pools but for sure illegal aliens and we'd all be much better off.
Maybe get rid of Addie, but not until after the holidays...... I want to see what he gets me for Christmas............... :rolleyes:

megacab

parents teach their kids not to do things that are wrong.teach them not to touch, teach them to respect and also lock up the guns and don't pass the responsilbity onto the kids for the safety of the guns.

fixed above for you.

PS one of the kids that I knew that was shot and killed was shot by his friend by mistake as the kid just wanted to show his other friends a gun and didn't know it was loaded. the other kid I know just missed getting killed when her borther, showing a gun to a friend and also not knowing it was loaded shot thru a wall into the bathroom and thru the mirror where my friend had just bent over to spit while brushing her teeth was standing.

I learned at a very young age that ALL guns are loaded. same way my 2 boys have learned. when i grew up there was a gun safe in the house and any gun that came out of that safe was treated as if it were loaded. also, as soon as i started hunting at 10 years old, i knew the combo to the safe. guns were not hidden or kept from me which would have heightened my curiosity in them. i was used to guns being a part of everyday life and therefore didn't have the need or desire to show them off to friends that came over. just like my boys. my oldest, at 9 years old, will tell anyone of my hunting friends flat out to keep their barrels pointed toward the sky. whether we are in the house or out in the duck blind. i have taught him there is no room for anyone to be unsafe with a gun and respecting your elders doesn't count when preaching gun safety. if he sees someone doing something wrong, he is allowed to speak up without fear of any repercussions and is praised when he does so.

i am not saying that people/children that are taught gun safety can't or won't have accidents, but in my house everyone knows how to minimize their chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.