• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Armed or Unarmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajun312

That news story reminds me...

For a bit of perspective for our Southern neighbours, who find it odd how fascinated and horrified we are by this whole thing... we call the city of Winnipeg "Murderpeg". It has a notoriously high crime and homicide rate, by Canadian standards. 34 murders this year, with a population of 633,000.

Wow, New Orleans is around 350,000 with 176 murders so far this year.

I'm sorry, but that is total crap. parents teach their kids not to do things that are wrong. if that was all there is to it, it would be easy, there would be no kid out there who ever got into trouble for doing anything worng. kids will and do things that are stupid as their brains do not totally develope until they are 25. it is the gun owers responsilbity to always know where their gun is and to keep it out of the hands of those who are no suppose to have access to it, plain and simple. it hardly is "gun control" to ask those who own guns to take responsiblity for them. teach tehm not to touch, teach them to respect and also lock up the guns and don't pass the responsilbity onto the kids for the safety of the guns.

PS one of the kids that I knew that was shot and killed was shot by his friend by mistake as the kid just wanted to show his other friends a gun and didn't know it was loaded. the other kid I know just missed getting killed when her borther, showing a gun to a friend and also not knowing it was loaded shot thru a wall into the bathroom and thru the mirror where my friend had just bent over to spit while brushing her teeth was standing.

Well maybe if those kids knew that if they touched the gun in the first place their parents would put a beating on them they would not have done it. When I was a child I knew from a very very young age like I said not to touch it. I never questioned that, and never touched it. I think it's the parents fault in the child get himself/herself or others hurt. And they should feel 100% responsible for the deaths.

Bly

Why Switzerland has the lowest crime rate in the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzkmy_UnO0

And the opposite is happening in Australia with their strict gun laws...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyb3gBaqlwk

Our repressive gun laws are the result of a shooting spree by a loser with a semi auto rifle who killed 35 and wounded 21 tourists in 1996. Google Port Arthur Massacre if you're interested.

As a result a lot of legal guns were taken away from law abiding citizens.

On the one hand it is nice to live in a place where it is rare to come across someone who is armed with a gun, therefore you don't really feel the need to carry in public.
On the other, handguns are becoming more common in the hands of criminals.

I'd love to have a pistol for home defence but the current laws make it difficult. Ever since those riots in London I've felt we are only a minor incident away from total chaos and would like to be able to defend my family.
I may still go through the legalities and get one.
We live and work close to a large public housing estate btw.

I always keep a short length of waterpipe handy at work, a Gurkha kukri at home and a kubotan in my pocket. And have done some fight training.
It never hurts to be prepared for the worst does it?

Police anywhere will not prevent you being attacked, they'll only come and take notes after the event.

Locals Find!

I hope you don't need to whip out your shooter on short notice. Perhaps you could announce to whatever the threat might be that it should wait until you remove the protective gear from your gun before it proceeds.

As counterpoint, every gun in my house, of which there is an abundance, is loaded, no locks, no safes, none of that nonsense.

Gun safety is treating every gun as if it's loaded, because it is. Gun training beyond knowing which end you hold and which end the bullets come out of seems frivolous. Everything else you should be able to figure out merely by looking it over for a few seconds. Guns are simple mechanisms and generally don't require endless hours of instruction as to their care and feeding.

Perhaps I feel as I do because I've been around guns my entire life and they don't frighten or fascinate me. Your mileage may vary.

Bob, I was raised around guns my entire life. I got my first rifles at 12. I can have my trigger lock off my gun in 3.2 seconds. Someone wants to break in takes me about 1.2 seconds to pop the pistol case nearby with its coded lock the guns are all loaded and ready to rock and roll.

Gun training helps avoid accidents and stupidity. Knowing how to properly break down your gun and put it back together in under a minute in pitch blackness is good training. Every owner should know how to properly clear jams, keep the gun clean and oiled, and how to check the components of a gun for wear & tear. Also, ammunition breaks down over time powder becomes less stable copper shells corrode. All of this is stuff you just don't learn picking up a gun and knowing which end to point.

I don't feel the need to carry everyday because, I work in an office building and the crime rate against people is low. Property crime is our biggest hassle here. Your more likely to get your air conditioner stolen than to have someone attempt to break in your house in my neighborhood.

Now, go 15 miles from here and its a whole other story. When I go to that part of town I carry everything I can think of from guns, to sledgehammers, to tear gas.

As a counterpoint, Addy's surrounded by retired Canadians, and trigger locks are required in most areas here. Mind you, our guns are typically for hunting, and very rarely used as a means of self-defence.

I have 3 kids that is why I use trigger locks. Also, if anyone breaks in my house they aren't going to be using my guns against me. My keys are on me every minute of every day.

I would say 95% of people around me are armed. Hell, in my neighborhood which is mainly residential I have 1 gun store within a block and another within a mile. In my area I would say you would find multiple gun stores within 2.5 miles of any point in town.

On top of that in Florida we can do private sales of guns. So I am free to load up and sell guns out of the trunk of my car or my living room if I so choose without any licensing required at all.

All this has one hell of an effect on curbing crime. We also have a police force that doesn't play games with criminals. Thanks to the patriot act my city has a former russian armored vehicle and a .50 caliber turret mounted machine gun for a city of just around 100,000. Our cops have shot many people in this area during the few standoffs criminals have tried.

The few gangs that tried to take off in this area found themselves dead or in jail very very quickly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Bob, I was raised around guns my entire life. I got my first rifles at 12. I can have my trigger lock off my gun in 3.2 seconds. Someone wants to break in takes me about 1.2 seconds to pop the pistol case nearby with its coded lock the guns are all loaded and ready to rock and roll.

Gun training helps avoid accidents and stupidity. Knowing how to properly break down your gun and put it back together in under a minute in pitch blackness is good training. Every owner should know how to properly clear jams, keep the gun clean and oiled, and how to check the components of a gun for wear & tear. Also, ammunition breaks down over time powder becomes less stable copper shells corrode. All of this is stuff you just don't learn picking up a gun and knowing which end to point.

I don't feel the need to carry everyday because, I work in an office building and the crime rate against people is low. Property crime is our biggest hassle here. Your more likely to get your air conditioner stolen than to have someone attempt to break in your house in my neighborhood.

Now, go 15 miles from here and its a whole other story. When I go to that part of town I carry everything I can think of from guns, to sledgehammers, to tear gas.

I have 3 kids that is why I use trigger locks
. Also, if anyone breaks in my house they aren't going to be using my guns against me. My keys are on me every minute of every day.

I would say 95% of people around me are armed. Hell, in my neighborhood which is mainly residential I have 1 gun store within a block and another within a mile. In my area I would say you would find multiple gun stores within 2.5 miles of any point in town.

On top of that in Florida we can do private sales of guns. So I am free to load up and sell guns out of the trunk of my car or my living room if I so choose without any licensing required at all.

All this has one hell of an effect on curbing crime. We also have a police force that doesn't play games with criminals. Thanks to the patriot act my city has a former russian armored vehicle and a .50 caliber turret mounted machine gun for a city of just around 100,000. Our cops have shot many people in this area during the few standoffs criminals have tried.

The few gangs that tried to take off in this area found themselves dead or in jail very very quickly

Out of curiosity.... does your wife have access to those locked keys or would should fall victim to a house intruder while you're away ??

Your times are commendable on unlocking, removing this or taking out that, but how well do you operate when awakened from sleep and are groggy and somewhat disoriented ??

I, and my wife, have speed loads for everything and keep a few extra of all kinds handy. I even have a 'starter pistol' down in the basement. Sounds good, but only shoots #8 blanks.

Locals Find!

Out of curiosity.... does your wife have access to those locked keys or would should fall victim to a house intruder while you're away ??

Your times are commendable on unlocking, removing this or taking out that, but how well do you operate when awakened from sleep and are groggy and somewhat disoriented ??

I, and my wife, have speed loads for everything and keep a few extra of all kinds handy. I even have a 'starter pistol' down in the basement. Sounds good, but only shoots #8 blanks.

My times are only 1 or 2 second slower. I was trained to reach for my gun the minute I am startled awake as all good soldiers do. I have 2 large dogs as my early warning system. My wife doesn't have to worry she has the two dogs and and me. If she is home alone she is pretty damn good with that knife. I won't teach her how to shoot or give her access to the guns as well she has a temper would probably shoot me given a chance sometimes.

My entire house is only 1000 square feet with garage.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, if ya can't trust your wife not to shoot you, then I think I can understand many of your answers here on the threads much better now. That explains alot......... :omg:

I have 2,100 on the first floor alone and that doesn't include the garage, attic or basement. The gun turret can see for over two miles on a clear day. Think I'm gonna instal a few radar configurations and heat sensors to the blip screen.

The turkeys and other wild animals give it away when unfamiliar two legged animals are around. They know us and let us practically walk among them, but not our neighbors or visitors.

Chipmunks give a good warning signals by stopping their chirping, but we don't seem to have any of them anymore.... they've just vanished........ :Oops:​

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Not sure if it's been said yet, but I like the 'ol "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Depends on where I'm going etc. Stays in the glove box most of the time. Unless I'm doing a late night wrap or something. Goes with me camping and on long drives too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if it's been said yet, but I like the 'ol "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Depends on where I'm going etc. Stays in the glove box most of the time. Unless I'm doing a late night wrap or something. Goes with me camping and on long drives too.

Just got a call to go look at some guy's sign needs downtown. I have three appointments in the morning and will never be capable of doing it in the morning. Tomorrow night I have planned out already and Friday morning is out due to a job instal. So, rather than make him wait til Monday or Tuesday, I'm gonna go there tonight and I'll have my gun with two speed loads and 25 extra rounds on me. It won't take long, but I'll feel safer knowing I have it. I won't let it be seen. I always keep it concealed. No sense in alerting someone to something that's none of their business.

I was downtown about a week ago around 9 at night and had it with me. Saw some really seedy characters out and about that night. It's a little cooler tonight, so I might not see anyone at all. We'll see.

Taahaahaahaahaahaa......... cwazy stweet pweople !!

Attachments

• elmer fudd.jpg
    elmer fudd.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 96

kstompaint

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. I have a Glock 22 and a smaller framed stainless Firestar, both in .40 caliber as well as a Mossberg pistol grip tactical 12 guage. There's always a gun in my truck and my house. I do have a CCW.

signage

I learned at a very young age that ALL guns are loaded. same way my 2 boys have learned. when i grew up there was a gun safe in the house and any gun that came out of that safe was treated as if it were loaded. also, as soon as i started hunting at 10 years old, i knew the combo to the safe. guns were not hidden or kept from me which would have heightened my curiosity in them. i was used to guns being a part of everyday life and therefore didn't have the need or desire to show them off to friends that came over. just like my boys. my oldest, at 9 years old, will tell anyone of my hunting friends flat out to keep their barrels pointed toward the sky. whether we are in the house or out in the duck blind. i have taught him there is no room for anyone to be unsafe with a gun and respecting your elders doesn't count when preaching gun safety. if he sees someone doing something wrong, he is allowed to speak up without fear of any repercussions and is praised when he does so.

i am not saying that people/children that are taught gun safety can't or won't have accidents, but in my house everyone knows how to minimize their chances.

:goodpost:

Flame

Not gonna list the firearms I own but yes I do. However for any possible trouble I may get into on late nights working alone at the shop, my extendable baton stun gun should help a little. Me and a few friends got gutsy one night and tried it..... yup. it works. That thing will DROP you lol.

mark galoob

trigger locks are great if you regularly train with them...but you have to train with you heart rate elevated or the training is really no good. you have to train while your stressed to the max or no good...the reality is if you dont train for the worst you wont be able to use your gun in defense without shooting yourself or a loved one. in fact if you dont train regulary, i seriously dout you could even reload your weapon during a hostile encounter...if anybody around here

as far as the kids go, my boy is 11 and had his first .22 cricket rifle when he was 6. he became a crack shot with it and even named it "scarlet"...lol he now has a ar 15-.22 that he regularry shoots. point is, he is VERY respectful around guns because he trains with them and sees the power of what they can do on a regular basis. no way in hell would he play with a real gun and not think its loaded.

all our weapons that are not for self defense are locked up in the safe and my wife and i have the keys...self defense weapons however are locked and cocked and loaded and everybody knows it...with exception of the shotgun, and i dont keep a round in the chamber for that only because i want an intruder to here me cock that baby...

mark galoob

Status
Not open for further replies.