• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random thoughts for a kinder, gentler S101

Dan Antonelli

Some interesting responses, and to those who shared their name and/or photo, it's very nice to 'meet' you and put a face with a screen name, and vice versa.

For those who don't know me, I'll introduce myself as well. I'm 42, and I run an 12 person ad agency in rural NJ, where we focus on the marketing needs of small businesses. We do a lot of logos, and at this point, we've done over 600 logos and small business brands. I started the company in 1995, and was a former sign painter, and pinstriper before college. Upon graduation, I got a job as a graphic designer at an insurance company. I loved lettering (mainly truck lettering) so much, that I started the sign business 'on the side' while working full time. It got out of control, so I was able to quit.

Over the years, I stopped doing signs and pushed more logo design and web design, and collateral development. I still love doing vehicle wrap design, but sold my plotter and printer many years ago. In 2000, I published my first book on logo design 'Logo Design for Small Business' and followed it up several years later. I am currently writing my third book, with about 85% of it written. I'll be very proud when its done, as I think there's some really good stuff in it. I have been writing for SignCraft Magazine for over 10 years now I think. I'd say most of my articles have been advocating the use of better design, and for sign people to think more about ways in which to market their services more effectively to yield more dollars for their work.

In my spare time, when not obsessing about logo designs (especially retro logo design), I race stupidly expensive bicycles, and train like crazy to be fast, but I still pretty much suck at it. Here's a pic of me in a race. I think I got like 15th out of 75. Woohoo (haha).

I understand for various reasons Fred and others detailed about why they don't want their real information publicly displayed, and I certainly respect that.

As we ponder those who post work seeking feedback, and we judge their intentions to be genuine, maybe just consider how we all might collectively provide meaningful feedback, minus the other 'stuff'.

Anyway, let he who did not suck at one point early in their career cast the first stone.

Attachments

• 391785_10150573251030987_746705986_10925005_1522254487_n.jpg
    391785_10150573251030987_746705986_10925005_1522254487_n.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 94

ucmj22

Some interesting responses, and to those who shared their name and/or photo, it's very nice to 'meet' you and put a face with a screen name, and vice versa.

For those who don't know me, I'll introduce myself as well. I'm 42, and I run an 12 person ad agency in rural NJ, where we focus on the marketing needs of small businesses. We do a lot of logos, and at this point, we've done over 600 logos and small business brands. I started the company in 1995, and was a former sign painter, and pinstriper before college. Upon graduation, I got a job as a graphic designer at an insurance company. I loved lettering (mainly truck lettering) so much, that I started the sign business 'on the side' while working full time. It got out of control, so I was able to quit.

Over the years, I stopped doing signs and pushed more logo design and web design, and collateral development. I still love doing vehicle wrap design, but sold my plotter and printer many years ago. In 2000, I published my first book on logo design 'Logo Design for Small Business' and followed it up several years later. I am currently writing my third book, with about 85% of it written. I'll be very proud when its done, as I think there's some really good stuff in it. I have been writing for SignCraft Magazine for over 10 years now I think. I'd say most of my articles have been advocating the use of better design, and for sign people to think more about ways in which to market their services more effectively to yield more dollars for their work.

In my spare time, when not obsessing about logo designs (especially retro logo design), I race stupidly expensive bicycles, and train like crazy to be fast, but I still pretty much suck at it. Here's a pic of me in a race. I think I got like 15th out of 75. Woohoo (haha).

I understand for various reasons Fred and others detailed about why they don't want their real information publicly displayed, and I certainly respect that.

As we ponder those who post work seeking feedback, and we judge their intentions to be genuine, maybe just consider how we all might collectively provide meaningful feedback, minus the other 'stuff'.

Anyway, let he who did not suck at one point early in their career cast the first stone.

you can not imagine my relief when I discovered awesome designers/artists/people were once sucky
:thankyou::goodpost:

Mike F

I'll bite...

I'm Mike (leaving my last name out since when you google it my dad's mugshot comes up on the first page of results), 26, born and raised in dirty south jersey, just a few minutes over the bridge from philly. I enjoy skating, video games, hockey (devils fan, even though the area I'm in seems to think we live in philly) and the usual stuff. Been in the industry a little over a year and still have a long way to go. I have a cat. Been single for a while. Sort of a jack of all trades but a master of none when it comes to computers and technology in general, and always willing and ready to learn just about anything. Can't think of much else. I'll take a better avatar picture when I get around to it, but that's me.

Ghost Prophet

your original avatar - to me, it looked like an alien/ghost with the green and black.

It's a character from a Japanese cartoon that is not well known. I used it because it reminded me of a ghost.
Ghost_of_the_wired_by_Laiin.gif

I don't post every day so I'm surprised you remember it. :p

...Also my name is Simon Stephens, I speak English and Japanese, some Spanish, and my Japanese friends call me GP or Ghost-o. Am originally from Santa Cruz, CA but now live in this "tumbleweed" town as someone else here once called it.

MGraphics

Hello all, Ryan from Kelowna, BC. One of the greatest places to live in my opinion.... Have been in the signage business since 2004. 29 years old married with two kids. Owned my own architectural signs business for 5 years then decided to sell and move to kelowna and work for someone else and havent looked back. Hope everyone is doing well and look forward to talking to you all. Have a good weekend.

Thanks,
Ryan
:Canada 2:

SignManiac

My list of things I've done and enjoy is too long to list. However, I've been a full time self taught sign painter/ maker / designer for the past thirty eight years. I live, breath, eat, sleep signs. I'm consumed by it. 100% OCD but oddly enough, I never tire of creating original designs. I don't mind giving back what I have learned in the hopes that it will help others improve by my examples. I detest ugly signs and want laws passed to imprison those who destroy our communities with visual pollution. I have a twisted sense of humor, fear nothing, and love doing the impossible. A lifetime is a mere drop in the bucket of time and I'm thirsty as hell.

Jillbeans

SignGals unite against me?! what I do?
...it's a thread of hot guy pix in the premium section for the enjoyment of us busy signgals.
I can see we need to add a few more.
But even if someone is cute, and they use Brush Script or have bad kerning, etc., I'm still going to point it out.

sar bossier

It's a character from a Japanese cartoon that is not well known. I used it because it reminded me of a ghost.
Ghost_of_the_wired_by_Laiin.gif

I don't post every day so I'm surprised you remember it. :p

...Also my name is Simon Stephens, I speak English and Japanese, some Spanish, and my Japanese friends call me GP or Ghost-o. Am originally from Santa Cruz, CA but now live in this "tumbleweed" town as someone else here once called it.

I really like the avi - I only said alien due to the shape of the eyes - I figured some sort of ghost image when I first saw it. One of my (MANY lol) daughters LOVES Japanese Anime. It's really cool that you speak Japanese. I speak southern, redneck, spanglish, and VERY little cajun. SOMETIMES I have been known to speak ENGLISH, but it's hard, specially round these heah parts.

Hi, Simon, I'm Shelli.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi.....

My name is Gino and I'm where I state I'm from. My new picture is that of a ..... get your mind out of the gutter........

Okay, guess what it is.​

Anyway, I'm doing signs professionally for 40 years and around them for about 46 or so years.

I enjoy signs of all kinds and every aspect of the business..... except dealing with stoopid customers. I enjoy Ballroom and Latin Dancing with my wife. I like just about everything and thoroughly like Bushmill with no ice. GINO.gif

ucmj22

...it's a thread of hot guy pix in the premium section for the enjoyment of us busy signgals.
I can see we need to add a few more.
But even if someone is cute, and they use Brush Script or have bad kerning, etc., I'm still going to point it out.

awww, shucks, you're too kind